The Mastering Suite
Our mastering suite has been designed to cater for all levels of recordings including Indie works. Our goal is to bring the highest possible quality audio mastering to our clients.
Cutting Edge Sound
The suite represents international mastering practices, and our engineer uses specialised techniques and years of experience to give your music a commercial sound that will be competitive in the global marketplace.
The suite is on par with some of the best mastering studios anywhere in the world. We have state-of-the-art valve and solid state analogue and digital equipment imported from around the world, many of these are customised specifically for music mastering.
Experience and StylesWith thousands of songs mastered at Sonamax our experience and styles have excelled in Pop, Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, World, Hip-Hop, Electronica, Dance, Dub, Childrens and the list goes on.
- Prism Sound (UK) ADA-8Xr 8 ch. – 24bit 96k converter – Transparent digital to analogue (D/A) conversion.
- Lavry Gold AD122-96MKII – The most accurate analogue to digital (A/D) converter currently made.
- TC Electronics PowerCore Sonnox Edition.
- Waves Bundle
- Sontec 432C/9 – Regarded as the finest mastering equaliser ever made, with 1/2 dB steps.
- Neve 2087– Super rare vintage Neve stereo mastering equaliser, great vibe, punchy and musical.
- EAR 660 Tube Limiters– British vari-mu tube limiters based on the classic Fairchild design. Amazing soundstage.
- Ampex ATR 102 (modified) – 1/4″ & 1/2″ analogue tape machine with custom mastering heads.
Analogue and Digital transfer/routing
- Crookwood (UK) custom mastering console – transparent integrated digital and analogue routing & inserts, MS processing.
- Klotz wiring – all equipment hardwired to console, no signal degrading patch-bay.
- Exabyte – 24 bit archiving & DDP masters with verification.
- Plextor – master CD burner, exceptionally fast performance while upholding the legendary Plextor reliability.
- Increase the presence of vocals, guitars and other instruments.
- Increase the punch and tightness of a recording.
- Add analogue fatness, density and warmth to tracks using valve EQ’s, compressors and a vintage Ampex 1/2″ tape machine.
- Remove sibilance and excessive brightness from vocals and hi-hats.
- Widen the stereo image and increase the ambience of a recording.
- Increase the perceived loudness of a recording.
- Carefully match the perceived loudness and sound balance from track to track.
- Create maximum sonic impact for radio & TV.
- Increase the harmonics & “air” in your sound.
- Crossfade songs together and create hidden tracks.Remove noise, clicks and crackles from a recording.
- Create stereo mix from stems and submixes.
- Create 24 bit CD re-issues from old masters and recordings.
- Make adjustments to a previous master without remastering.
- Enter CD-Text and ID3 tags for correct album information essential for downloading.
Accepted Formats: Ideally you should bounce (mix down) your project as 24 bit stereo WAV or AIFF files at the original session sample rate. Please remove peak limiting and leave 3dB or more headroom so the master fader does not clip. Don’t worry about level, that’s what mastering is for! Clipping will destroy transients and distort the signal. Please take the time to ensure you have the correct tracks that are clearly labelled. Accepted file formats are 16, 24 or 32 bit stereo WAV, 16 or 24 bit stereo AIFF, Audio CD, 16 or 24 bit DAT, 1/4″ & 1/2″ analogue tape. Mastering for Vinyl: Mastering is essential for vinyl due to the complicated phase relationships. Sonamax has many years of experience mastering for vinyl. Contact us now to discuss you next vinyl project.